Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Day 24 - The Gym Rat

This morning I stepped on the scale to see that I gained one pound making my current weight 206 pounds. I am not concerned about just one pound because I like the overall downward trend I am experiencing. After 24 days I am losing .375 pounds each day, on average. That is just over 1/3rd of a pound daily. I can live with any weight loss. That also means I am trending towards losing 2.625 pounds a week! It is a slow weight loss and hard work but I have decided to make this new “way of life”, my actual way of life.

Yesterday I made it to the gym for my mid-day workout break and I saw something that strikes me as strange. I see it almost everyday. So today I want to talk about it. I get on the treadmill and I work at the pace required to get to the proper pace for my heart rate. In order for me to achieve the proper rate for my heart, I have to work rather hard. I find myself breathing heavy, so heavy I could not possibly hold a conversation with the person next to me. The most I could say to someone is, “Hi”.

Please don’t get me wrong, but there were two women next to me, on treadmills, that talked to each other constantly through my workout. All I know is that if I am able to hold a conversation, I am not getting the workout that I need. It is easy for me, then, to assume that they cannot be getting a “workout” at that pace. So why do they do it? I’m sure there is some benefit to walking on the treadmill for an hour but why not stroll through a park instead of in a gym?

My point is this, if you have determined to lose weight, exercise is a must. But to go further, you must work at it. Be dedicated and work hard. Walk in the park with your friends and have fun while you get some exercise but don’t forget to find some dedicated time for a workout that seems hard.

I want to lose weight, so I work hard. If you are overweight, I want you to lose weight too. Get committed and work hard when you need to and have fun when you can.

I close today with some fun quotes I found, hope you like them!

“I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I'm doing.” ~Marsha Doble

“If your dog is fat, you're not getting enough exercise.” ~Author Unknown

"Don't dig your grave with your own knife and fork. ~English Proverb

"A diet is the penalty we pay for exceeding the feed limit." ~Author Unknown

"More die in the United States of too much food than of too little." ~John Kenneth Galbraith

"The cardiologist's diet: If it tastes good, spit it out." ~Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment