Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 31 – Good Workout

After yesterday’s posting I managed to make it to the gym. I had limited time but I really felt strongly about getting at least some of my workout into the day. I got to the gym at about 4:45 p.m. and almost all of the treadmills were full. I found an open treadmill and set it for my 35 minutes run at a speed of 5.0. I felt really good all the way through the run so when I had three minutes left I cranked up the speed to 7.0 to finish 30 minutes of running.

When I first get the speed up to 7.0 my mind instantly tells me that I can’t make it! I have the thought that I couldn’t possibly maintain the pace and I will probably give up before the time runs out. But I also notice that the increased speed actually feels more comfortable on my body. Somehow less awkward. I don’t know how else to express it. I have learned that I can overcome the torment if I keep from watching the timer and just push through to the end. I am always happy when I have finished because I know it was the right thing and my body will be better for it. I also managed to get all the day's weight machines done.

I am not planning a workout today but I want one. Could it be I’m getting addicted? I think about working out all day, even though I know it is a physical struggle to put my body through. But I need days off as well. At my age the feet are feeling the beating of years of running and my current weight isn’t helping either. The arthritis in my feet and back ache too. When I was younger I could run every day but not anymore.

My weigh-in today was disappointing but I am not down. I weighed-in at 207 pounds which is the same as yesterday. That brings my daily weight loss average down to an even ¼ pound.

I keep pressing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment